YMA Live Transmission
For live online transmission of spiritual activities,talks and events, please click on the play sign .
Masjid Umar Live Transmission
For live online transmission of spiritual activities,talks and events, please click on the play sign.
CONTACT: 306 Barnsley Road, Sheffield S5 7AD
PHONE: 0114 256 2170
Following a desperate need for a local Masjid and Madrasah in the Fir vale area of Sheffield, a two storey semi-detached residential property was bought in 1998 by a group of local Muslims. Since then, Masjid Umar has excelled and flourished in facilitating the diverse religious and social needs of the community. A further detached residential property adjacent to the Masjid was purchased to meet the needs and interests of the wider community. Masjid Umar continues to provide an excellent service to men, women and children.
Yorkshire Muslim Academy
CONTACT: Bland Street, Sheffield S4 8DG
PHONE: 0114 244 7730
On the 21st January 2010, only with the Grace of Allah the much needed Yorkshire Muslim Academy (YMA) was established as an off shoot of Masjid Umar, Sheffield. Its unique central location in the city, serves as an ideal platform to accommodate for the religious and secular educational needs of the community as well addressing the social and cultural welfare and interests of the people.
MUHARRAM 1436 – ISLAMIC NEW YEAR (SAT 25th OCT 2104)
- The first month of the Islamic calendar i.e. Muharram is one of the four sacred months of the year known as Ash’hur-ul-Hurum – the sacred months.
- Although there is no concept of celebrating ‘new year’s day’ in Islaam, in fact such a concept is unislamic and alien to the Deen, nevertheless the month of Muharram has certain characteristics and significance peculiar to it. Such is the importance of this month that the Prophet (saw) has regarded it as ‘The month of Allah’ and its fasts as the best of all fasts after the fasting of Ramadaan (Muslim).
- For more info on the importance and virtues of Muharram, click HERE to download the Muharram 1436 Newsletter.
FAST OF ‘AASHOORA (10th MUHARRAM – MON 3rd NOV)!
- Although the whole month of Muharram is a significant month for fasting, nonetheless the fast of the 10th of Muharram is the most sacred among all its days and observing fast on this day is regarded as a highly meritorious act of worship. The Holy Prophet (saw) said, “I hope that through the blessings of this fast, Allah (swt) will forgive the sins of the past year” (Tirmithi).
- Day of ‘Aashoora (10th Muharram) is on Monday 3rd November 2014. Fasting is highly recommended on this occasion for two days (Sun 2nd and Monday 3rd November or Monday 3rd and Tuesday 4th November 2014).
- In the final year before his demise it was brought to the Prophet (saw)'s attention that the occasion of ‘Aashoora should be marked with some form of distinction as the Jews also celebrated it. For this reason the Prophet (saw) said, “Do fast on ‘Aashoora and in it create distinction with the Jews by fasting an extra day on either side” i.e. 9th or 11th. He also resolved that if he lived till the following year he shall fast on the 9th also.
- The two day fast will be celebrated on Sunday 2nd and Monday 3rd November 2014 at Masjid Umar.
MADRASAH HALF TERM HOLIDAYS
MADRASAH HOLIDAY SCHEDULE 2014/15
- WINTER HOLIDAYS - Madrasah will close on FRIDAY 26th DECEMBER at 7pm and will re-open on MONDAY 5th JANUARY.
- HALF TERM FEBRUARY HOLIDAYS - Madrasah will remain closed on MONDAY 16th and TUESDAY 17th FEBRUARY.
- APRIL HOLIDAYS - Madrasah will close on FRIDAY 3rd APRIL at 7pm and will re-open on MONDAY 13th APRIL.
- MAY HOLIDAY - Madrasah will remain closed on MONDAY 4th MAY.
- BANK HOLIDAY - Madrasah will remain closed on MONDAY 25th MAY.
- SUMMER HOLIDAYS - From FRIDAY 17th JULY till SUNDAY 2nd AUGUST.
IMPORTANT MADRASAH DATES 2014/2015
- MID-YEAR WRITTEN EXAMS - SATURDAY 20th and SUNDAY 21st DECEMBER.
- MID-YEAR FATHERS' MEETING - SUNDAY 11TH JAUNARY.
- MID-YEAR MOTHERS' MEETING - SUNDAY 18th JANUARY.
- ANNUAL WRITTEN EXAMS - SATURDAY 30th and SUNDAY 31st MAY.
- ANNUAL ORAL EXAMS - From MONDAY 1ST JUNE till SATURDAY 13th JUNE.
- ANNUAL FATHERS' MEETING - SUNDAY 17th JUNE.
- ANNUAL MOTHERS' MEETING - SUNDAY 21st JUNE.
IMPORTANT ISLAMIC DATES 2014/15
- 1st MUHARRAM 1436 (New Islamic Year) = SATURDAY 25th OCTOBER.
- 10th MUHARRAM ('AASHOORA) = MONDAY 3rd NOVEMBER.
- 1st SHA'BAAN = TUESDAY 19th MAY.
- 15th SHA'BAAN (LAYLAT-UL-BARAA'AH) = TUESDAY 2nd JUNE.
LIVE TRANSMISSION FROM MASJID UMAR & YMA!
- Jumu'ah talk at YMA on Fri 31st Oct at 1pm.